Senior Advisor Māori – Wellington
- Provide guidance to the social work profession as it transitions to the registration of all social workers.
- Support SWRB to better understand the implications of Māori perspectives in our work.
- Be at the cutting edge of change as an experienced social work practitioner.
The Social Workers Registration Board is a Crown Entity that is the regulator for the social work profession. Our job is to protect the public’s safety by administering a registration framework to ensure that social workers are competent, fit to practise and held accountable for their practice. Our vision is that “social workers enable the Mauri Ora of our communities, family, whānau and individuals.”
Te tautiaki i te iwi tūmatanui mā te whakarite, ka noho haepapa ngā tauwhiro, ka haumaru, ka whai pūkenga, ka tika hoki ki ngā mahi ināianei, ā, haere ake nei
Māori as tāngata whenua hold a unique position within social work in Aotearoa founded in the Te Tiriti o Waitangi partnership. This requires indigenous and bicultural approaches to be present and evidenced within the Social Work profession. We are looking for someone who can:
- provide advice to the SWRB of the implications of Māori perspectives for our work as modern public safety regulator
- provide expert advice on how to engage with tāngata whenua over issues related to regulation of social work
- support the office’s engagement with tāngata whenua.
This is a new position. A priority for you will be working on the development of the Māori Responsiveness Strategy and the implementation plan for how the SWRB puts the Strategy into action. You will also work closely with other staff, including the Principal Advisor (Social Work Practice) on a broad range of issues from policy development to social work associated guidance.
Benefits and perks
You will be part of a small team where your social work experience can help shape policy and practise within a supported environment. We want to invest in you and help you to grow. There’s also the opportunity to be influential and help shape how we work, what we can improve, and make a difference for those we work with.
You will be a fully Registered Social Worker with a current Practising Certificate and at least four years experience in social work practice. Amongst the skills and talents that you bring to our team will be:
- A strong understanding of mātauranga Māori, kaupapa Māori, te reo me ona tikanga
- Strong networks and positive working relationships with tāngata whenua social workers, Iwi and community Māori organisations
- In-depth knowledge of social work theory and practice
- Experience in policy development.
Ko tō mātau whāinga: “Ka tautoko ngā tauwhiro i te mauri ora o ō tātau hapori, o ō tātau whānau me ngā tāngata takitahi hoki”
The Social Workers Registration Board is committed to equal opportunity in all our employment policies and procedures. We welcome enquiries from everyone and value diversity in the workforce and we are willing to consider flexible working arrangements.
To apply for this position, please provide your current Curriculum Vitae and a covering letter outlining your background and your interest in the role.
APPLICATIONS CLOSE: Friday, 24 May, 2019
APPLY OR VIEW THE POSITION DESCRIPTION: www.jacksonstone.co.nz
FURTHER ENQUIRIES: Simon Boyes on 04 550 8000