Clinical skills for treating complex traumatisation (Treating Complex Trauma) with Dr Leah Giarratano
Date(s) - 27/06/2019 - 28/06/2019
This workshop is intended for past attendees of Treating PTSD presented by Dr Giarratano (from 2012 onwards). There are no exceptions to this policy because approximately half of the full four-day program material is presented in Treating PTSD and is not repeated in Treating Complex Trauma.
This two-day (8:30am-4:30pm) workshop completes Leah’s four-day core training for professionals working with traumatised clients. You are required to attend ‘Treating PTSD’ before enrolling in ‘Treating Complex Trauma’ because important workshop material is presented in ‘Treating PTSD’ and is not repeated in ‘Treating Complex Trauma’.The emphasis of this two-day training program is upon imparting practical, accessible skills to use immediately with survivors of complex trauma (especially survivors of child abuse and neglect). The content is applicable to both adult and adolescent populations. Topics include:
• Complex trauma. Complex PTSD. Attachment disorders. Personality disorders. What’s the difference/ relationship?
• Phased-based treatment model based on best practice guidelines
• Building and maintaining the therapeutic relationship, including maintaining compassionate boundaries and managing therapy disruptions and termination
• Using the therapeutic relationship to promote emotion regulation
• Understanding attachment re-enactment and betrayal trauma in order to work with challenging behaviours, including: ‘splitting’ between care providers; idolising/demonising the therapist; constant new crises; reduced motivation; external locus of control
• Practical therapeutic techniques (including exposure interventions and experiential tools) drawn from: Attachment-based treatment; Emotion Focused Therapy; Dialectical Behaviour Therapy; Metacognitive and Mentalisation Therapies; Schema Therapy; Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy to help clients presenting with complex trauma symptomatology, including flashbacks, numbing and dissociation, emotional ‘hurricanes’, somatisation, self-hate, self-harming and suicidal acts, dysfunctional relationships and substance abuse
•Managing and reducing vicarious trauma in the therapist.
About the program author/presenter
Leah Giarratano is a doctoral level clinical psychologist who specialises in the assessment and treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). She has been presenting training programs in Australia since 1996 and in New Zealand since 2000. Leah is the author of six books covering the assessment and treatment of psychological trauma and in the application of CBT.
Registration fee and payment is in Australian Dollars (AUD)
Super Early Bird: $550 AUD when you pay by 27/12/18
Early Bird: $615 when you pay by 27/3/19
Normal Fee: $680 when you pay after 27/3/19