Clinical skills for treating posttraumatic stress disorder (Treating PTSD) with Dr Leah Giarratano
Date(s) - 28/05/2020 - 29/05/2020
This two-day training presents a highly practical and interactive workshop (case-based) for treating traumatised patients; the content is applicable to both adult and adolescent populations. Techniques are largely cognitive behavioural; they are best-practice, evidence-based, and will be immediately useful and effective for your clinical practice. The program includes handouts and numerous case examples. The emphasis is upon imparting practical skills and up-to-date research in this area.
Day one topics include:
• Treatment maps and planning strategies
• Psychoeducation and motivation tips
• Analysing and targeting dysfunctional behaviours (e.g., substance abuse, self-harm)
• Arousal reduction strategies (including breathing retraining, grounding and distraction tasks)
• An introduction to anger management
• Self-care for clinicians
Day Two topics include:
• Invivo exposure therapy (reducing avoidance behaviours)
• The fundamentals of exposure therapy for traumatic memories (prolonged imaginal exposure
• Cognitive challenging of negative self-statements related to the traumatic event
• Contraindications and complex case issues
NB: In order to attend Treating Complex Trauma, participants must have first completed this ‘Treating PTSD’ program.
About the program author/presenter
Leah Giarratano is a doctoral level clinical psychologist who specialises in the assessment and treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). She has been presenting training programs in Australia since 1996 and in New Zealand since 2000. Leah is the author of six books covering the assessment and treatment of psychological trauma and in the application of CBT.
Program fee for each activity:
NZ Super Early Bird $550 AUD each when you pay more than six
NZ Early Bird $615 AUD each when you pay more than three
NZ Normal Fee $680 AUD each when you pay less than three
NZ Residents attending Australian workshops are charged a flat fee of $550 AUD
each (subject to availability)
Program fee includes Australian GST, program materials, lunches, morning and afternoon teas on both workshop days.