Depression and Suicide in Males – are we missing something? Auckland
Date(s) - 22/10/2020
8:30 am - 1:00 pm
The more we understand depression and the underlying reasons for the high suicide rate of men and what exactly needs to be changed to improve this situation, the greater the potential of our impact on our communities’ health and progress.
Join Dr Wilme Steenekamp on this half day workshop and explore:
- Why are the suicide rates of men so much higher?
- Do men with depression present differently to women?
- Do men need more than being prescribed an anti-depressant and telephone numbers of suicide call-centres?
- What leads up to men committing suicide? What are they struggling with? What do men think about depression and their masculinity?
- How do men make use of resources of help when they are depressed?
- Is depression and suicide related to other self-destructive behaviour?
- What are possible solutions to these phenomena?
- Practical strategies and tools to support men experiencing depression and suicidal thoughts.