Motivational Interviewing 2021, Wellington
Date(s) - 14/06/2021 - 16/06/2021
Mercure Wellington Abel tasman Hotel
Exploring Motivational Interviewing
What is motivational interviewing?
“Motivational interviewing (MI) is a collaborative, goal-oriented style of communication with particular attention to the language of change. It is designed to strengthen personal motivation for and commitment to, a specific goal, by eliciting and exploring the person’s own reasons for change within an atmosphere of acceptance and compassion” (Miller & Rollnick, 2012).
1 Day Workshop: An introduction to Motivational Interviewing – Guiding change in helping conversations
The aim of this interactive workshop is to give participants the opportunity to experience the basics of MI and decide the level of interest in learning more. Participants will be introduced to, and provided with the opportunities to explore the following:
- Understand the fundamental spirit and processes of MI
- Directly experience the MI approach and contrast it with others
- Be acquainted with relevant evidence of efficacy
- Learn practical guidelines for exchanging information/giving advice “in the spirit of MI”
- Learn a MI strategy for assessing and building motivation
- Have direct practice in, and experience of, these particular applications
2 Day Workshop: Motivational Interviewing – Processes and skills
Following on from Day 1, the aim of this workshop is to provide participants with a more in-depth understanding of the style of MI, and how to continue applying it in practice.
- Strengthen empathic listening skills
- Direct practice and experience in the use of the core skills (including open ended questions, affirming, reflective listening, summarising) throughout the four processes of MI
- Direct practice in listening for, and responding to, change talk
- Learn the fundamental client language cues, that allow continued feedback and learning in practice
Delegates can book either the day one workshop or, both day one and day two. It is not possible to attend day two without attending the day one introduction workshop. It is possible to do the Day One training, and then do the 2nd day of training at a later stage – contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Spaces are limited for the 2nd day workshop.