Motivational Interviewing with Eileen Britt – One and Two Day Workshops – Christchurch
Date(s) - 19/02/2019 - 20/02/2019
Exploring motivational interviewing and goal-oriented communication.
What is motivational interviewing?
“Motivational interviewing (MI) is a collaborative, goal-oriented style of communication with particular attention to the language of change. It is designed to strengthen personal motivation for and commitment to a specific goal, by eliciting and exploring the person’s own reasons for change within an atmosphere of acceptance and compassion” (Miller & Rollnick, 2012).
1 Day Workshop: An introduction to Motivational Interviewing – Guiding change in helping conversations
The aim of this interactive workshop is to give participants the opportunity to experience the basics of MI and decide the level of interest in learning more. Participants will be introduced to, and provided with the opportunities to explore the following:
- Concepts of resistance and ambivalence
- Basic concepts of MI
- The spirit of MI and its significance in behaviour change practice
- The notion of change talk
- The skill of exchanging information/giving advice “in the spirit of MI”
- A strategy for assessing and building motivation which can be used in brief, as well as in extended, conversations.
2 Day Workshop: Motivational Interviewing – Processes and skills
Following on from Day 1, the aim of this workshop is to provide participants with a more in-depth understanding of the style of MI, and how to continue applying it in practice.
Limited spaces are available for the 2nd day.
1 Day Workshop:
- Understand the fundamental spirit and processes of MI
- Directly experience the MI approach and contrast it with others
- Be acquainted with relevant evidence of efficacy
- Learn practical guidelines for exchanging information/giving advice “in the spirit of MI”
- Learn a MI strategy for assessing and building motivation
- Have direct practice in, and experience of, these particular applications
2 Day Workshop:
- Strengthen empathic listening skills
- Direct practice and experience in the use of the core skills (including open ended questions, affirming, reflective listening, summarising) throughout the four processes of MI
- Direct practice in listening for, and responding to, change talk
- Learn the fundamental client language cues, that allow continued feedback and learning in practice
Who Should Attend
All who work to support others to change, including doctors, psychologists, psychiatrists, nurses, case workers, social workers, counsellors, teachers, youth workers, community mental health nurses, school counsellors, school leadership, corrections and youth justice workers.
About the Presenter
“Through my research and teaching I seek to make a difference, and to develop students who in turn will be people prepared to make a difference.”
Eileen Britt is a member of the Motivational Interviewing (MI) Network of Trainers, an international collective of MI trainers who promote excellence in the training, research, practice and implementation of MI.
She is an Associate Professor in the Department of Psychology and School of Health Sciences at the University of Canterbury and has worked as a Clinical Psychologist in mental health, health, criminal justice and research settings.
In this role Eileen teaches MI to postgraduate clinical psychology students, dietetic students, psychiatric registrars, and other students within the School of Health Sciences. It also involves her researching MI, including: its use with different populations (e.g., youth and adults with diabetes); as a pre-treatment engagement intervention (e.g., for youth with mental health disorders or perpetrators of intimate partner violence); and the training of MI.
Eileen also provides MI training (introductory to advanced), supervision and coaching, and coding training for a range of NGO services, governmental and professional organisations within NZ.
Price & Registration
1 Day Workshop:
Earlybird Special – $220.00 + GST
Standard Price – $250.00 + GST
2 Day Workshop:
Earlybird Special – $325.00 + GST
Standard Price – $375.00 + GST
52 Cathedral Square,
For more information click here>>
or visit: www.grow.co.nz
Ph: 06 878 3456