With the coming introduction of new legislation it is more important than ever that Social Workers insurance provides the protection they need. The introduction of the Social Workers Registration Legislation Bill will change many of the core dynamics of being a Social Worker. At its heart the Bill changes registration requirements, accountability and responsibility. These prescribe the way Social Workers act; and the simple fact that they represent change equates directly to a rise in exposure for members. Those that are not cognisant with the requirements of the new legislation, or those that continue to “carry on as before”, may find themselves in breach of the new law and subject to penalty or censure.
Your members have an insurance advantage. There are many ways that your members will be better off with the insurance they receive as part of their ANZASW membership. Some of these are:
- Uncertainty. Any new law creates uncertainty as it is bedded in and becomes common practice. The new law will contain changes, some obvious and some with ambiguous meanings and nuances. The impact of these will not be immediately known and there will be little case-history or precedence upon which to reflect and judge. All this leads to greater uncertainty and therefore greater risk for Social Workers. Insurance is invaluable during these times and all your members have it –automatically!
- ANZASW is working closely with Crombie Lockwood to understand the legislation and determine how this might impact member’s risk exposure. Only ANZASW insured members receive the benefits of this direct engagement.
- ANZASW insurance is managed by specialists and is uniquely for ANZASW members. In addition members have immediate access to the Legal Advisory Panel. The panel’s early involvement will help members should they need to address exposures created by the new Act. And it’s free!
- The Legislation changes or updates compliance structures, audit and reporting requirements. Insurance needs to be updated to accommodate these. This is automatic for ANZASW insured members thanks to the work carried out by ANZASW and Crombie Lockwood. Any changes in the policy to accommodate new job descriptions, occupations or activities will be taken care of. This ensures ANZASW insurance remains active, current and relevant. Automatic for your members!
- The legislation may change interactions with Employers. It is not certain how the new legislation will work between employer and employee. Only ANZASW insurance has special provisions to engage when matters appear to be employment related but are in fact related to the delivery of professional social work services.
- Your Employers may provide cover. Do you know if this covers you, how this covers you and if it has been updated? The insurance for ANZASW members is personal to each member. Your members don’t need to rely on their employers supporting them.
Encompassing all of this is that we know that the ANZASW insurance contains the widest cover and comes at an exceptionally low cost for members.
In conclusion – all Social Workers will have an obligation to study and be aware of the new legislation and how it may affect them. From a risk and insurance perspective your members will be better off than non-members, as much of this work is being done for them by engaged, specialist agencies. The cover, cost and service outcomes will be superior; and all at no direct cost to your members.
Non-members will need to achieve this on their own. Good luck with that!