Social Worker – Christchurch
Job Ref: 30524
Do you want a social work position in one of our Christchurch Metro or Rangiora locations? Join our supportive team and put your values into practice to make a difference to the lives of our young tamariki.
The wellbeing of tamariki is everyone’s responsibility. They deserve to feel safe, have their voices heard and be surrounded by loving whānau and community.
If these words capture why you became a Social Worker, then you belong on the journey we’ve begun at Oranga Tamariki. We’re looking for qualified and/or registered social workers who want to make a difference to at risk tamariki and rangatahi.
Here at the Ministry we are increasing our staffing numbers so we can better support tamariki and to put this into practice. We are open to a range of experience and skills so welcome applications from new social work graduates through to experienced practitioners.
A big part of your day will be working with children and young people ensuring their voices are heard, completing assessments, reports and formal Family Court documents, creating plans, completing referrals, participating in family group conferences and partnering with other agencies, stakeholders and the community to get the best outcomes.
Getting the best for vulnerable children and young people is not an easy job, but when you see the positive difference you can make – it is worth it.
- A salary range between $54,745 to $91,956 per annum (based on your skills and experience)
- A challenging, fascinating and rewarding career
- The ability to make long lasting relationships within the community
- Regular supervision, training and career development opportunities
- A bi-cultural practice approach
- Personal satisfaction you are making a positive difference in your everyday work
- Ensuring our young people have the care, stability and development afforded all Tamariki
You will need:
- Exceptional listening skills – hear what the child or young person has to say
- Proven ability to quickly build rapport with tamariki and rangatahi
- Critical thinking – you know how to gather information and make good evidence based decisions
- A high degree of both verbal and written communication skills (you will need to write court reports)
- A commitment to bi-cultural practice and a culturally responsive approach (a good understanding of Tikanga Maori is advantageous)
- Resilient, motivated and caring nature with a positive “can do” attitude
- Flexibility to work an afterhours duty roster as required
- Good computer navigation and typing skills
- A full clean valid driver’s licence
- The knowledge and experience of community and social work best practices to provide advice and contribute to the development of policy and services.
Preference is given to those who have Provisional or Full Registration with the New Zealand Social Work Registration Board. If you have lodged your registration with the board and are waiting to hear back – please tell us in your application.
This role will offer the right candidate the ability to work in a Ministry committed to professionalism, innovation and the ability to find creative solutions to challenges in a role where no two days are the same!
If you are looking for the next challenge where accountability, integrity, courage, respect for self and others, and striving for excellence are important in your day to day job, then we would like to hear from you.
How to apply:
Please apply through the apply button and upload your CV and cover letter to our applicant tracking system. Please note all applications must be made online.
Internal Oranga Tamariki Employees – please apply through your myHR portal at work.
If you have any questions about the role please contact Paula Grooby on email@example.com
Applications close: Sunday 20th October 2019