Social Worker, Engaging Challenging Youth Team, Auckland
Social Worker, Engaging Challenging Youth Team – Grey Lynn, Auckland – fixed-term/secondment
Auckland’s Engaging Challenging Youth Team (ECY) is part of the Auckland Specialist Teams collective based at the Oranga Tamariki Grey Lynn Office. ECY comprises of a specialised team of social workers who work intensively with Auckland’s most challenging youth, covering care and protection, youth justice issues and at times District Court matters.
The ECY program model involves; stabilising rangatahi by accessing options across the continuum of their care. Engaging with the young people and identifying their risks, strengths and needs (accommodation, health, education, identity, culture and wellbeing). Planning and developing individualised plans in conjunction with their whanau and community. Co-ordinating, implementing and managing the plans with the young people and a multitude of stakeholders involved in their lives.
As an ECY social worker you will need to have exceptional engagement skills in order to break through barriers and empower complex rangatahi to make healthy, safe choices in often-unpredictable environments. Some of the issues you will work through in this role are: suicidal ideation, drug and alcohol addictions, mental health, disabilities, underage sex work, transience and high tariff challenging behaviours. You will need to be able to foster a sustainable, professional and proactive relationship in this environment.
Additional to engagement skills, preference is given to those who have had experience/understand complex and intergenerational trauma, accomplished court writing skills, balanced judgement and competence deescalating rangatahi.
We can offer you the following:
- A challenging, fascinating and rewarding career opportunity in a leading-edge programme
- On-going training and coaching in the wraparound framework model
- On-going training in therapeutic skills such as motivational interviewing and family therapy models
- Regular supervision and development, and involvement in the research and evaluation of the programme
- The opportunity to change lives, and be involved in a potentially ground-breaking programme in Auckland
- Salary range is between $55,000 – $100,000
- Discounts on Southern Cross Health insurance
- Access to a government banking package with Westpac – special offers and rates
What you will bring?
- A full, clean, valid driver’s licence
- Full registration with New Zealand’s Social Work Registration Board (SWRB) or able to register
- A social worker qualification recognised by the SWRB
- The ability to analyse and prepare social work and financial plans
- Sound judgement skills
- Strong organisational skills
- The ability to manage risk and make tough decisions
- Excellent verbal communication skills with the ability to adapt to your audience
- Good written skills as you will need to write court reports and case notes
- A positive outlook and supporting nature
You will have the following:
- Proven engagement skills and rapport with tamariki
- Experience/understanding working with Maori or Pacifica families
- Understanding and adhering to Te Tiriti o Waitangi principles and their application in practice
- Excellent problem-solving skills – you will need to have a creative, informed approach
- Understanding of children and families with complex needs, and ability to work across systems to bring about positive change
- A willingness to try new approaches and be adaptable to change
- Great written and verbal communication skills (you will need to write court reports).
- Resilience and be able to work through heightened situations with composure
- Full clean valid driver’s licence
- A social work qualification recognised by SWRB and will be eligible for full registration
- Excellent time management and organisational skill
- Strong PC and Microsoft Office Suite skills with excellent report writing skills
Who are we?
Our tamariki and rangatahi deserve to feel safe, have their voices heard and be surrounded by loving whānau. At Oranga Tamariki – Ministry for Children, we’re on a journey to ensure that it happens. We are a leading social work practice that is child-centred, trauma informed and effective for all cultures.
How to apply?
Apply online with your CV, cover letter, copy of your social worker qualification and SWRB details.
If you are an Oranga Tamariki employee, please apply through your myHR portal.
If you have any queries, please contact Sravani Peddibhotla on firstname.lastname@example.org
Hurry as applications close on Wednesday, 28 October 2020.
Please do not apply for this vacancy if you are not registered with the Social Work Registration Board (SWRB). Instead please follow the below links to be considered accordingly:
- If you are a student studying social work or a social work graduate, please apply here>>
- If you are an experienced social worker who hasn’t registered or is waiting to hear back regarding their application for registration, please apply here>>
To see more about this exciting role, check out the position description: http://www.msd.govt.nz/hr/documents/position-descriptions/mvcot/social-worker-position-description.pdf