Social Worker, Ko Taku Reo, Auckland
- Be part of student success
- Partner with Teaching, Residential and Pastoral care
- Varied role with rewarding outcomes
At Ko Taku Reo we work to nurture the social and emotional wellbeing of New Zealand’s Deaf and hard of hearing (DHH) children and help them form their own identity; as well as providing support and resources to help them reach their academic potential. This new organisation came out of the merger of Kelston and van Asch Deaf Education Centres.
We have a full-time Social Worker role based at our Auckland Campus in Kelston available to support ākonga and their families/whānau as required in both enrolled and outreach schools across the region. You will also work with the Residential team for those ākonga based here in Auckland. You will work alongside the student/s and teaching team to support the learning and welfare of Deaf/Hard of Hearing learners. This is a new role within the Integrated Services Team, working with students from 2 – 21 years of age. The right applicant will have scope to develop this exciting new position alongside other specialist staff.
- Support the wellbeing of our ākonga and their whānau
- Seek out and raise awareness of appropriate services for our students
- Assist the Teacher with student’s cognitive, emotional, social, spiritual, physical, intellectual, and cultural needs
- Ensure compliance with the values as well as the legislative requirements of the organisation
- Work with ākonga and whanau to ensure their voice and needs are heard and responded to
- Advocate for needs appropriately
- Assist in the development of student support services across the organisation
- Ensure appropriate records are maintained
- Work with wider staff across the organisation ensuring the best outcomes for students
You will have:
- At least 3 years post qualification experience
- Desire to assist with learning, achievement and success of our students
- Social Work qualification and registration
- Knowledge of NZ Education Sector
- Demonstrated skills in IT
- Good communication and diplomacy skills
- Affinity with the values of our organisation
- Respect and positive engagement with all students and colleagues
- A full drivers licence and use of your own car
An affinity or understanding of NZSL, Deaf Culture and community would be great however we can bring you into this world and help you engage. This will include developing skills in NZ Sign Language.
What’s in it for you?
- Rewarding work with children and their families watching them grow and excel
- A focused role with a team approach
- The opportunity to work for a passionate employer
- Work with a diverse and welcoming team
- Learning and development opportunities
- The chance to work in this unique organisation with our learners at the centre
How to apply
If you are interested in joining our team, please apply below with your CV and a cover letter telling us why you’d love to work with us and our students. For a copy of the Social Worker Job Description go to our website careers page at this link: https://kotakureo.schooljobs.nz/Job/Social-Worker-Auckland/Auckland/800
Applications close on 5pm, Monday 9 August 2021.