Social Worker – Youth Justice, Hastings/Napier
Full-time, permanent, Hastings/Napier
Do you want direct and meaningful relationship with tamariki and rangatahi, supporting them to move beyond the criminal justice system. We have an opportunity to join a high functioning team committed to getting the best outcomes for rangatahi and tamariki.
You have the opportunity to take preventative measures to improve outcomes for tamariki and rangatahi.
Oranga Tamariki – Ministry for children work with the most at risk tamariki and rangatahi in New Zealand. Oranga Tamariki works to advance the wellbeing and positive long-term outcomes of children and young people. In everything we do, the wellbeing and best-interests of children are paramount. The voices of tamariki and rangatahi underpin the design and operation of our services.
Our Youth Justice Social Workers are the key people who work with young people, their whānau, police, youth advocates and essential government and community support services when a young person has committed a serious offence.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, qualified Social Worker who can help us by positively influencing rangatahi to accept responsibility and to change their behaviours. You will be someone who can ensure their voices are heard and empower whānau to engage in family group conferences and court proceedings. Part of your role to achieve these outcomes will be by completing assessments, working with our rangatahi to create plans and by partnering with other agencies and stakeholders to get wrap around support in place for them.
We can offer you:
- a competitive social worker salary
- a cohesive and supportive team environment
- the ability to make long lasting relationships within the community
- regular supervision, training and career development opportunities
- discounts on Southern Cross Health Insurance
- access to a Government banking package with Westpac – special offers and rates.
To be successful, you will need:
- a qualification in social work recognised by the Social Work Registration Board (SWRB)
- continuation of SWRB registration with a current APC or working towards gaining registration
- excellent relationship building skills
- a high degree of both verbal and written communication skills (you will need to write court reports)
- a commitment to bi-cultural practice and a culturally responsive approach (a good understanding of Tikanga Māori advantageous)
- a full clean valid driver’s licence.
If you think you have what it takes and are dedicated to achieving positive change for children, young people and their families in the community, then we want to hear from you.
Apply now as applications close on Monday, 6 July 2020.
How to apply
Apply online by clicking ‘apply now’ please include your CV, cover letter, and include your social worker qualification and SWRB details.
Internal Oranga Tamariki employees, please apply through your myHR portal. If you have any queries, please contact Andrew Howard at firstname.lastname@example.org
Position description and video: https://www.msd.govt.nz/hr/documents/position-descriptions/mvcot/social-worker-position-description.pdf