Social Worker – Wellington
Are you passionate about changing the lives of young people!
- $60k – $63,800 (SW registered)
- $53k – $56,300 (not SW registered)
About the role
Come and be the dynamic social worker always seeking new ways to inspire and grow our youth. We are striving to be a trauma-responsive organization, and to be the best advocate for our youth you will be resilient and flexible with a good sense of humour. We want to foster and support your creativity and your commitment to inspire positive change for our youth and their whānau.
Barnardos delivers care services right across New Zealand. These homes are community-based and provide safe, therapeutic spaces that focuses on our youth’s in preparation for their transition into the next phase of their life.
In this Wellington-based home you will manage a small case load of up to 5 youth, all boys ranging in age from 12 – 17. They stay an average 1.5 – 2 years, sometimes longer, with ongoing support post-placement. This is an awesome opportunity to have a massive influence in their life and that of their whānau.
As the Social Worker, working alongside a team of committed Youth Workers you will :
- Support best practice aligned with our trauma-informed approach to care
- Lead the assessment, development and implementation for each of our boys’ care plans.
- Be the key liaison for our boys’ care team including – whānau, school, Oranga Tamariki and other external agencies
- Design and support the youth workers to implement effective individual and group programming for our boys
- Work typical business hours, Mon – Fri covering 830am – 5pm
- Provide rostered on-call support
- In partnership with the youth and their whānau – assess, plan and review their Individual Care Plans
- Keep whānau informed of their youth’s progress whilst also supporting them to engage in key services that will help them provide positive on-going care for their youth post-placement
- Maintain documentation and regular reports, ensuring their accuracy and are completed in a timely manner
- Supporting Youth Work team with delivering consistent service and routines
- Creating programme plans and activities for school and public holidays
Skills and experience
- A qualified Social Worker
- Experience working in a child-centered and trauma-responsive way
- Has good self-awareness and is self-reflective
- Full and clean Drivers Licence
- Family friendly organisation with flexible working
- Reduced cost childcare and other benefits
- Supported ongoing professional development incl Social work registration
- Professional and supportive colleagues
About the organisation
Barnardos is New Zealand’s leading children’s charity. We tailor our services to respond to local needs, individual challenges and diverse experiences. We are deeply committed to the Te Tiriti o Waitangi and the principles it represents — it is an essential part of who we are and the work we do.
We’re here for all Kiwi kids. Every day, our services and staff make a real and positive difference in the lives of thousands of children and families across New Zealand.